Home Page: Meeting Minutes
September 21, 2015 May 11, 2015 Regular Meeting Minutes
VILLAGE OF UNITY
REGULAR BOARD MEETING
MONDAY, MAY 11, 2015
1) Call to Order: Village President Scott Blume called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m.
2) Pledge of Allegiance
3) Roll Call/Establish Quorum: Roll call was taken with the following members in attendance; Trustees Ron Loertscher, Joe Geiger, Gene Smazal, Marjorie Carpenter and President Scott Blume. Trustee Jeremy Larocque was absent. Quorum established.
4) Approve April Meeting Minutes: A motion to accept and approve April meeting minutes as presented was made by Carpenter. Seconded by Loertscher. All ayes. Motion carried.
5) Approve May Accts. Payable & April Treasurer`s Reports: A motion to accept and approve reports as presented made by Loertscher. Seconded by Smazal. All ayes. Carried.
6) Review/Approve Hall Security Deposit Refunds: The first rental date reviewed was May 2nd. The floors were not mopped, tables not cleaned and the renters did not complete cleanup until 12:30 p.m. That is an hour and a half later than the signed rental agreement calls for. A motion to return half the security deposit ($175.00) was made by Carpenter. Seconded by Smazal. All ayes. Motion carried. The final date reviewed was May 8. The cleanup was satisfactory. Motion to approve full refund of security deposit made by Carpenter. Seconded by Smazal. All ayes. Carried.
7) Committee Reports: None.
8) Recognition of Visitors: The board recognized village resident Art Shaffer. Shaffer began by calling on the board to contact the sheriff`s department. Shaffer claimed that Trustee Marjorie Carpenter is violating a village ordinance that states the number of pets allowed per household. The ordinance allows for three pets maximum per household. The issue will be looked into. Tracy Soppa was recognized. She requested a temporary picnic license for the softball season. Soppa said that one of the deep fryers in the concession stand kicks out the breaker when both fryers are used. Soppa also said that there is a possibility that there won`t be enough teams to run a league this year, she will let the board know one way or the other. Motion to approve temporary picnic license for softball league made by Loertscher. Seconded by Geiger. All ayes. Carried.
9) DPW Report: DPW Ryan Maldonis began with the issue of the hall plumbing issue. Maldonis said that he asked Jakel Plumbing and Suda Plumbing for estimates but neither got back to him. Wayne gave an estimate of $800.00 to cover the plumbing pipes with stainless steel to prevent freezing during the winter. There was discussion of filling a janitorial position left open when Virgil Decker left the job. Maldonis suggested changing hall rental check out time from 11:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. on the morning following a rental. Maldonis said that it would help to have the extra time to inspect and correct any non compliance with the rental agreement. Maldonis was asked if the landfill is open on Saturday. Part time weekend employee Jerry Chubb has apparently been opening the landfill on his weekend and coming back later in the day to close it. Maldonis said that he left a note for Chubb instructing him not to leave it open, since finding a couch on the burn pile. The tire pile at the landfill needs to be disposed of. Maldonis found a place that will take the tires at a cost of $150.00 per ton along with a 7% surcharge. There is a minimum of ten tons before they will pick up. Motion by Loertscher to dispose of tires. Seconded by Geiger. All ayes. Motion carried. Finally, Maldonis got two estimates for a new garage door opener for the village garage. Badgerland Overhead quoted a cost of $1050.00, Security Overhead Doors quoted $1200.00. Motion to accept Badgerland quote made by Carpenter. Seconded by Geiger. All ayes. Motion carried. End of report.
10) Board Business: Approve Operator`s Licenses-Naomi Carey and Diane Safemaster. Both applications are renewals. Motion to approve both operator`s licenses by Smazal. Seconded by Geiger. All ayes. Carried. Approve Building Permit-Sally Brackins. Permit is for a new garage at a lot in the mobile home park. The garage was already under construction when trustee Marjorie Carpenter found out that a building permit had not been applied for. Carpenter said she instructed the builders to stop. One of the builders contacted president Scott Blume and asked if they could continue since they turned in an application and paid the fee. Blume said they had three options; Call a special meeting to have the permit approved and pay for the board to convene, wait until the regular board meeting to have the permit approved or continue to build and risk receiving a penalty of 10% of the construction cost, which amounts to $400.00. The construction was completed before approval of the permit. Blume then asked the board to vote to either impose the penalty or waive the penalty. Carpenter and Loertscher voted to levy the penalty. Geiger and Smazal voted to waive the penalty. This left a tie for president Blume to break. Blume voted to levy fine of $400.00. The final vote was 3 to 2 to impose the $400.00 fine. Motion to approve building permit for Sally Brackins made by Carpenter. Seconded by Smazal. All ayes. Motion carried. Appoint Committee Members. The finance committee will have Ron Loertscher, Joe Geiger and Marjorie Carpenter. The ordinance committee will have Jeremy Larocque, Ron Loertscher and Marjorie Carpenter. The sewer committee will have Jeremy Larocque, Gene Smazal and Joe Geiger. Discussion/Action-Hall Agreement. The board agreed to a 9:30 a.m. check out time the morning after a rental. Motion to approve change to check out time made by Carpenter. Seconded by Geiger. All ayes. Motion carried.
11) Old Business: Carpenter asked if anything had been heard from the EPA regarding the water issue. The DNR and EPA said earlier in the spring that they wanted to dig a number of test wells in the village. No one from either agency has contacted the village as of yet. The clerk will place an ad in the newspaper seeking someone to fill the custodial position left vacant after Virgil Decker left the job.
12) Clerk`s Report: Heidi Maldonis informed the board that new trustees Joseph Geiger and Gene Smazal were administered their oaths of office. End of report.
13) President`s Report: President Blume called for the Ordinance committee to meet to discuss building permit ordinance.
14) Marjorie Carpenter asked for the floor. Carpenter said that she has heard comments from people that say the village board is dead, that the board has no direction, that some have said that they don`t know who the village president is. Carpenter stated that the village needs vision and that she hopes the new trustees will help move things forward.
15) Adjournment: A motion to adjourn regular board meeting made by Carpenter. Seconded by Smazal. All ayes. Meeting adjourned at 8:22 p.m.
August 18, 2017 July 10, 2017 Regular Meeting Minutes
August 10, 2017 June 12, 2017 Regular Meeting Minutes
July 4, 2017 May 8, 2017 Regular Meeting Minutes
May 10, 2017 April 10, 2017 Regular Meeting Minutes
May 10, 2017 March 13, 2017 Regular Meeting Minutes
March 24, 2017 February 13, 2017 Regular Meeting Minutes
March 8, 2017 December 12, 2016 Regular Meeting Minutes
March 8, 2017 January 9, 2017 Regular Meeting Minutes
January 2, 2017 November 14, 2016 Regular Meeting Minutes
October 20, 2016 September 12, 2016 Regular Meeting Minutes