Home Page: Meeting Minutes
May 23, 2014 April 14, 2014 Regular Meeting Minutes
VILLAGE OF UNITY
REGULAR BOARD MEETING
MONDAY, APRIL 14, 2014
1) Call to Order: Village President Randy Smith called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m.
2) Pledge of Allegiance
3) Roll Call/Establish Quorum: Roll call was taken with the following members in attendance; Trustees Scott Blume, Jeremy Larocque, Ron Loertscher, Jerry Michlig, Marjorie Carpenter and President Randy Smith. Quorum established. Trustee Marie Kauffman was absent. DPW Pat Phillips and Clerk Heidi Maldonis were also present.
4) Approve March Meeting Minutes: A motion was made by Larocque to accept and approve March meeting minutes as presented. Motion seconded by Carpenter. All ayes. Motion carried.
5) Approve April Accts. Payable & March Treasurer`s Reports: Motion by Michlig to accept and approve April accounts payable and March treasurer`s reports as presented. Motion seconded by Larocque. All ayes. Motion carried.
6) Review/Approve Hall Security Deposit Refunds: Six rentals were up for review. The first was on April 5. Cleanup was successful. It was noted that a number of tables were marked up. It was requested that Virgil Decker, (custodial duties) try to clean them up. There were five dates rented by one party; March 16, 23, 31 and April 6 and 13. The cleanup for all of those dates were satisfactory. One rental date, March 21, was found to be alright with the exception of footprints found on top of the moveable tables and on the backs of the folding chairs, according to Phillips. The clerk questioned the renters, but was unable to determine who was responsible. A motion to refund security deposits was made by Carpenter. It was seconded by Loertscher. All ayes. Motion carried.
7) Committee Reports: None
8) Recognition of Visitors: None
9) DPW Report: DPW Pat Phillips reported that he replaced the culvert near church. The blade on the road grader has been replaced. The cost for new blades is $280.00 for a set of three. Phillips stated that the box for the dump truck is coming along well. The water is still frozen at the village garage, according to Phillips. Phillips said that he will be gone from April 30 through May 5. End of report.
10) Board Business: Frank Carey-Request Equipment Use for Tractor Pull. The board approved Carey`s request for the May 24 event. Approve Picnic License-Unity Legion Truck & Tractor Pull. Motion by Blume to approve picnic license for Unity Legion Truck & Tractor Pull. Motion seconded by Larocque. All ayes. Motion carried. Approve Picnic License-Unity Legion Truck & Tractor Pull/Ron Leonhard Benefit. Motion to approve picnic license for the Unity Legion Truck & Tractor Pull for Ron Leonhard benefit by Michlig. Motion seconded by Larocque. All ayes. Carried. Discussion/Action-Ball Diamond. Village President Randy Smith addressed Tracy and Kayd Soppa, who ran the softball league at the Unity ball diamond last year. Smith said that he and Trustee Jerry Michlig would like to offer their assistance with a system of bookkeeping that worked very well for them when they were running the softball league a number of years ago. Both Smith and Michlig agreed that their system was simple and effective to use. Smith stated that he would like a report from the league at the regular board meetings during the season. League to start near the end of May. A motion to provide $1500.00 start up money from the Village Rec Park fund to the league was made by Michlig. Motion seconded by Blume. All ayes. Motion carried. The subject of an announcing booth for the ball games was brought up. Phillips stated that he knows someone from Curtiss that could possibly build a small booth for low cost. Phillips will look into it. An electrician will need to look into breaker box at ball diamond. Soppa requested that additional sand be placed in volleyball court. Approve Building Permit-Josh & Lacey Kohl. Motion by Blume to approve building permit. Seconded by Michlig. All ayes. Carried. Approve Building Permits (2)-WE Energies. Motion to approve 2 building permits to WE Energies by Michlig. Motion seconded by Carpenter. All ayes. Carried. Approve Operator`s License-Brian Reise. Motion to approve operator`s license by Larocque. Seconded by Blume. All ayes. Motion carried. Adopt Resolution-Renewal/TIF Loan. Motion to approve and adopt Resolution #2014-01, which allows a straight renewal of Village TIF Loan by Carpenter. Motion seconded by Loertscher. All ayes. Carried. Set Date for Board of Review. The board agreed to four possible dates pending the availability of the Village assessor. The dates are Monday or Tuesday, May 5 or 6; or Monday or Tuesday, May 19 or 20. Set Date for Pat Phillips` review. Clerk to send out review questions to board. Date will be set when all questionnaires are returned. Discussion/Action-Peddle Tractor Pull for Leonhard Benefit. Motion to approve peddle tractor pull event for Leonhard benefit by Michlig. Seconded by Carpenter. All ayes. Motion carried. Discussion/Action-Upgrade or Replace Village Computer(s). A motion to approve new computer for village office and repurpose old office computer for village garage made by Michlig. Motion seconded by Larocque. All ayes. Carried. Discussion/Review Old Ordinances 9, 10. After reviewing, the board agreed to repeal ordinances 9 and 10. The process of repeal will begin at May 12 regular board meeting.
11) Old Business: Trustee Jerry Michlig reported that two street lights in the village were out. Street lights are located at the corners of South Main St. and East Church St; and East Church St. and South Front St. Referring to the ball diamond announcing booth, the board set a limit of $1000.00 cost. Phillips reported that it is difficult to find a lawn mower for the village at the cost of $5000.00; which is the board approved amount.
12) Clerk`s Report: Maldonis reported that she received statements of charges for three recent fires in the village. These are not billing statements, they are charges that are balanced against the $8000.00 annual fee that is paid to the Colby Fire Dept. The village can decide whether to charge residents for fire calls. The board will take it up at next budget meeting this fall.
13) President`s Report: President Smith commented that a village resident has roof rafters stacked in their yard. Smith asked if a building permit has been applied for. Maldonis replied that they have not.
14) Adjournment: A motion was made by Larocque to adjourn meeting. Motion seconded by Carpenter. All ayes. Meeting adjourned at 8:30 p.m.
August 18, 2017 July 10, 2017 Regular Meeting Minutes
August 10, 2017 June 12, 2017 Regular Meeting Minutes
July 4, 2017 May 8, 2017 Regular Meeting Minutes
May 10, 2017 April 10, 2017 Regular Meeting Minutes
May 10, 2017 March 13, 2017 Regular Meeting Minutes
March 24, 2017 February 13, 2017 Regular Meeting Minutes
March 8, 2017 December 12, 2016 Regular Meeting Minutes
March 8, 2017 January 9, 2017 Regular Meeting Minutes
January 2, 2017 November 14, 2016 Regular Meeting Minutes
October 20, 2016 September 12, 2016 Regular Meeting Minutes